Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Beginning

I am not very detail oriented. I am bad about leaving out details and think faster than I type of talk. It occured to me that I haven't really gave many details about finding out and such so today I am going to tell my conception story.

November was an extremely hard month for us. We had some things going on financially that had to be taken care of. We were fighting emotional battles within ourselves and estranged family and it was taking a toll on our relationship. I think we all know that when you throw TTC in the mix of that, then you have a recipe for disaster.

I was already late for my October period and was starting to get a little crazy. I had really worked myself up and was convinced that the pregnancy test were wrong and that I was indeed pregnant. When I did start I was devestated, again, and bitchy, again, and depressed, again. I was a treat.

Lather, rinse, & repeat for December as my november period was off from being late in October and didn't come until middle of december. Eric and I were having so much trouble that I wouldn't even fill out the RE paperwork because I just couldn't see it. I knew that filling out that paperwork was it and if we did commit to a medicated cycle the odds of it working, in my mind, were super slim.

I decided to take a trip and get away to see my best friend. I have never traveled anywhere alone and she works at a ski resort and we would have free access to some of the best skiing in Colorado so I was stoked about getting away and seeing her.

We had decided to take a complete break in december. No charting, temping, test taking, talking about a baby, no timed sex. I was so excited about the trip I don't even remember when my period was. I do know that I drank wine like it was my second job. We enjoyed the holidays and enjoyed New Years.

Eric's birthday was January 14th and we were having a little cookout for him and thinking that I was supposed to start my period soon, I decided to take a test. I didn't expect anything but a negative and honestly knew that I would not be that sad when I saw it. I just didn't want to miss the opportunity of giving my husband a positive for his birthday.

Well the test popped up positive IMMEDIATELY.

I took 1 more on the way home...in a gas station. (Don't judge me)

I would love for this part to be a sweet way that I wrapped up the stick and gave it to him with all the other presents. I did intend to do it that way. However, what really happened is this.

I burst through the door.

He was playing Grand Theft Auto iv.

I shoved the stick in his face and said, "look, you are going to be a dad".




"Your lying"

"That's fake"

I showed him both tests and had another test ready for when I had to pee again.

Here is the part of the story where I would like to tell you that he jumped up and down and swept me in his arms and we danced in the kitchen. Here is what really happened.

He went to the garage.

I followed him in.

He had tears in his eyes.

He saw me looking at him.

"You better not be joking"

Then we hugged and laughed and all that good stuff.

After dinner we took the test together. I peed in a cup and he dipped the test and we got another positive.

E was ecstatic.

We told our parents that night. And pretty much everyone else knew the next day.

Now as for my due date, I don't have a confirmed one yet. I think I am about 7 weeks. My HCG test showed high like 7-12 weeks when I should have been 5 weeks so that was a little confusing. My Dr said you can't use that to calculate how far along you are.

The ultrasound maching showed my sach to be measuring 5 1/2 weeks last Monday and yesterday he didn't really tell me. Since I don't know the exact day of my last period I may not have a calculated due date until March 2nd when I go back to the DR.

We live in such a small town and have 3 OB Drs. Apparently the sonogram machine isn't the best and that is why we could barely see the heart beat. My Dr. doesn't do the vaginal ultrasound and I didn't hear the heart beat but I did see if flashing.

It has been 8 years since I have done this so I am open to any and all assvice. Also I am looking for the best ticker and I will just use my calculations until next month. But that is where we are so far.


Elana Kahn said...

Speaking of assvice, I actually know of someone who can answer nearly any pregnancy related question you throw. She charges $1.75/min, but if you have quick questions (or even a ton), it's worth it not to have to wait for a doctor--especially when a doctor's copay is between $15-$25 depending on insurance, sometimes more. She also sometimes sends free minutes, which come in very handy! :-) Her number is 888-464-3646 ext.03335585. Good luck!!

noswimmers said...

Wow...what a cool story! I don't have any assvice, just enjoy it!

Teresa & Connie said...

Your husband having tears in his eyes is making me bawl. Damn you, I promised myself I would get through one day without crying and I was almost there! I can't even express how happy I am for you and your husband.

*Brandi* said...

I think that's a great story of how you told him! And for some people I think the relaxation and break do some good. That's when it happened for me too. Stress effects everyone differently. And I'm just over the moon for you still!

Tiffanie said...

OMG, that is a great story! i have tears, i'm so happy for you both:)

To A T said...

I think it is so cute that he was all teary :) Made me smile for you!

I think the little widget one is neat, but sometimes kind of creepy ;-)

HereWeGoAJen said...

Hooray! That is such a good story.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo happy for you hunny!!!! I don't know jack about pregnancy, but I'll be here every step of the way to cheer you on!